Friday, May 22, 2009

He's my son!!!

Okay.. i'm 34 weeks pregnant.. cranky.. annoyed.. tired.. and bored.. Now keep all these emotions in mind when reading this blog :)

So I've liked the name we've chosen for our son ( keyword OUR ) for years and years. I went to beauty school with a girl who had a son with the same name. I always loved it's uniqueness and it just always stuck with me for some reason. Well when I found out Ian too liked the name.. it was a miracle! He was such a poop to agree with a girl name.. so it was soo easy with this one hit wonder of a name! But don't think I got lucky.. No sir.. not at all. We can NOT for the life of us.. agree on the spelling of it. He likes the simple generic easy way.. Navy. YES PRONOUNCED just like the military branch or color. That was the way my friend spelled her sons name.. so maybe that's why I dont like it.. but mainly i think i dont like that way because it's too military and too plain for me. Ian thinks since the name itself is so unique that the spelling should be simple.. What do you think? I however origonally like the spelling Navei. I got the spelling kind of from my friend Lacei Anderson Childs name. I always liked her unique spelling.. but i've had alot of comments about people thinking that way would be hard to pronounce and people would misspell and mispronounce it? So I switched it up to Naevi.. and now I get all sorts of crazy comments like " there's no way people are going to think that is pronounced navy." and "it will take 9 years for the kid to spell his own name.. " and BLAH BLAH BLAH!! K people it's 2009 not.. 1954!!!EVERY kid has a unique name these days!! nobody hardly names their kid George, Bob, or Samuel!!! ( no offense to you dudes out there ) He's MY son.. and probably the ONLY son i'll ever have.. let me for gods sake name and spell it the way I want!! I'm his mother..

We are going with a two middle name concept. So he will have two middle names basically. I'm letting Ian go with WHATEVER he wants.. and he has wanted the one he picked FOREVER.. and EVERYBODY looks at me crazy when I say what he selected.. but me being a good wife.. has defended him to the fullest extent and said "oh well, it's his son.. thats what he chose." But I keep changing in my head what one i'm going with. I origionally wanted Taylor. Mainly becuz it's my maiden name and I've always loved my maiden name.. plus its just a cute name in general. But Ian selected Hexum. ( his favorite band is 311. The drummers last name is Hexum.. that's what he's goin with.. ) Naevi Taylor Hexum Flores.. just sounds soo overwelming for a tiny newborn h aha.. so I really like the name Shayde.. instead of Taylor. Naevi Shayde Hexum Flores. Ian has said he is ok with Shayde.. but frankly i could give a rats ass if he is or not.. becuz he is going with Hexum he better darn well let me choose whatever I want! Well anyways.. in just 6 short weeks OR SHORTER.. our precious baby will be born.. and we need the name to be perfect! Tell me honestly your thoughts on the spelling of Navy. Simple, or my unique way.. and .. about the middle name.. what you think.. but please dont leave any comments about "how silly it is.. or how you hate it" ive already heard enuf of that and quite frankly the next person to say that might get yelled at! Ha ha.. no seriously though..

8 comments:

  1. you know me, im an honest gal. :) anyways, i had NO clue how to pronounce the name when i first saw it on your blog a few months ago. I imagine that you son would be dealing with that for his whole life. If it were me, i think i would stick with the traditional spelling. I think it looks more masculine than the ei ending too. Navei looks more like a girl name to me, kind of reminds me of the name Neveah.

    I think you should do Navy. but hey, he's your son, you and ian are gonna have to duke this one out. lol.

    Okay, heres a great compromise. Tell ian he can spell they first name Navy, but only if he gives up the name Hexum (that is just horrible IMO). so, then the name would be Navy Taylor Flores. thats nice! :) its a win win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. or what about Naevy? idk. i just realized that i spelled it wrong in my first comment. lol. let the misspellings begin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's YOUR son, do as YOU wish. I like that you are trying something different. Kyler's middle name is Deyn (pronounced Dean) everyone misprounces it all the time and it gets annoying. If he were MY son I'd spell it Navee to keep with the same way you did Kennedee's. People will mispell and misprounce it, but it will only be a matter of time until they learn it and you get used to it. With Kyler people say Tyler all the time and with Alexia people say Alexis. So...again...he's YOUR son. Go with your gut. And I think Taylor is an adorable way to honor your family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you both very much.. everything helps :) and FYI ian refuses to give up Hexum.. ha ha.. I think ur both right though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. marissa... i like the name. Out of the different spellings i like either Naevi or Naevy. I also dont really like ian's choice for a middle name...but it's just a middle name and so who cares... really. My daughter's name is Lindzi and i'm glad i spelled it different. True, she'll have to always spell it to people...but there are so many ways to spell it that it doesn't really matter...she'd have to spell it out for them anyway. Also i like the name Taylor. So what ever you choose, it will suit him. Ps this is Brenda's sister, joanna.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the name Navy! My favorite spelling is Navee. But something to think about is... probably the only times people will mispronounce it is when they read it- like on a role call. And you're right- it's 2009, everyone has a unique spelling for their kids' names.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks you guys!! :) i have such amazing friends!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think spelling it your way is more masculine. Just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete